Goodpasture Christian School strives to develop the skills necessary for students to achieve academic excellence while preparing them for a life of service. Their high school students consistently achieve at the top 10% of ACT scores with 100% of students being accepted into college. Like many schools, they've adopted mobile device technology as an avenue to enhance teaching and learning.
The Challenge: Device Loans for Students
The technology department at Goodpasture consists of one Technology Director, Tammy Applegate. Tammy has been tasked with managing technology for the entire school, which is made up of 1,000 students. It’s no surprise that efficiently managing and distributing these devices to students was a big challenge.
Traditionally, students had to interrupt Tammy or library staff to check out a loan device, causing delays and disruptions to students’ class schedules and staffs’ primary duties.
Additionally, tracking and managing broken devices proved to be a cumbersome task, with limited visibility into the whereabouts of loaner devices.
To meet their academic goals, Goodpasture needed to ensure students had immediate access to working devices anytime they were needed.
The Solution: Smart Lockers
To enhance efficiency and to empower students, Goodpasture Christian School implemented a FUYL Tower Smart Locker. The Tower not only facilitated independent device loans for students experiencing issues with missing or forgotten devices, but it also offered a streamlined solution for exchanging broken devices.
Results and Key Outcomes: Significant Time Savings for Staff, Less Device Downtime for Students
The FUYL Tower had an immediate and positive impact on the school's device management process.
- Self-Sufficiency and Time Savings: With the FUYL Tower in place, students could independently check out devices, reducing the need for involvement from the tech director or the library staff. This resulted in quicker turnaround times and less disruption to classroom activities.
- Loaner Device System for Broken Devices: The Tower served as a hub for loaner devices in case of broken laptops. Students could easily swap their malfunctioning device for a loaner without assistance.
- Enhanced Visibility and Accountability: The FUYL Tower provided insights into loaner checkouts and returns, allowing the tech director to track who checked out a device and for how long. This feature proved invaluable in ensuring timely returns and minimizing the risk of prolonged device loans at a time.
- Convenient Monitoring: The strategic placement of the FUYL Tower allowed the tech department to monitor device checkouts more efficiently. With visibility of the Tower from her office, Tammy could provide in-person help if needed, creating a seamless support experience. As the students became familiar with the device loaning process, there has been less involvement from staff, saving significant time every morning.
- Time Savings for Staff: The implementation of the FUYL Tower significantly reduced the workload for the tech director, especially during peak times like mornings. The automated system allowed for a more hands-off approach, freeing up staff to focus on more critical tasks.
Recommendation: FUYL Tower Saves Time for Students and Staff
The success of the FUYL Tower at Goodpasture Christian School, particularly for a school with a small tech department run by a single person, highlights its suitability for similar settings. The time and resource savings, combined with the improved device management capabilities, make the FUYL Tower a valuable asset for educational institutions looking to streamline their technology lending processes.
In conclusion, the FUYL Tower not only addressed the immediate challenges faced by Goodpasture Christian School but also emerged as a solution that contributed to a more efficient and self-sufficient learning environment where students can thrive.